Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter Dresses: Part Two

Yes...you are right.  It is past Easter.  I am behind in posting to the dear little blog, but I promise you that I did complete these dresses before Easter!

Part one was the dress for the two-year-old daughter in my friend's line of four daughters.  Here is the dress for the six-year-old...the next up in line.


We started with an idea from McCall's 6018.  But, McCall's were not on sale at JoAnn's anytime soon, so I got Simplicity 2828 when JoAnn's had a 5 for $5 sale. 

Because of the thickness of the lined bodice and the double layer belt, I had to put in a regular zipper, as opposed to the hidden zipper I typically insert in all of my sewing projects.  Funny how I have been sewing all these years and I just learned that hidden zippers do not do well with many layers of fabric...



Then, to finish it off, I made the flower.  I cut two pieces of fabric, one of the blue floral and one of the pink plaid, 2 1/2 inches by 6 inches.  I roll hemmed the two layers together, then ran a basting thread 3/4 of an inch from one edge.  I pulled the thread in tight, then wrapped the excess around the gathered part and tied it off and trimmed it.  To finish the flower, I pressed down the two layers with an iron and ran three loops of ribbon through the middle.  I sewed a safety pin to the back, so the flower can be removed when the dress is washed.

Here is second youngest modeling the dress for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment