Sunday, January 22, 2012

Lavender and White

When I was 14, my family built a new house.  And my sister and I got to pick, out of the four upstairs bedrooms, which one we wanted.  We also got to choose how we wanted to decorate the room.  I wanted lavender and white.  But my sister wanted blue and green and pink - in pastels.  So we compromised.  We did all pastels - lavender, blue, green and pink.  Our room came out beautiful - and rather "patchwork-ish," which I love.

In my twenties I moved into my own apartment and I finally had my own bedroom!  I could get my lavender and white room.  So, two years ago, I began the quilt for the bed.

The main fabric - the calico - is one I found in a quilt shop years ago.  My grandmother was with me and she heard my exclamations over the fabric, so she went back later and bought four yards for me.  I had saved it for something special and I decided this was the "something special."


I used the reverse Irish Chain pattern and, after finishing the top, I took it to my friend here in town who has a quilting machine.  She quilted it over a year ago and then it just sat in my pile of unfinished projects...

And sat...

and sat...

Until a few weeks ago.  I finally got the binding on.  And I handsewed it as a watched a movie.  Finally, the quilt is done...six weeks before I move out of my apartment.  O well!  Now I have it for my next bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment