Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jumper for Professional Wear

Some time ago (who knows how long), I cut out a jumper to wear for work.  As a school teacher, I am always in need of cute, professional-looking outfits.  I had a piece of dark brown moleskin suede and when I saw the jumper on Simplicity 3678 (I was going to link you to the pattern cover here, but apparently it is out-of-print), there was an instant connection in my mind between the pattern and the fabric.

Since I am currently on a quest to finish my unfinished projects, I pulled the jumper out again.  Plus, it looked like it would be nice and warm, and with all this snow and ice, I wanted something warm to wear to work!

The pattern itself was fairly easy to construct.  I did have to lengthen the bodice and the skirt, but those are pretty normal alterations for me, since I am above average height.  The only real problem was the armholes; they were cut funny and once I finished the jumper, I realized they didn't fit right.  They needed to come in more and the needed to be larger to accomodate the sleeves of the blouse, t-shirt, or sweater that I would wear under the jumper.  So I spent a few more hours taking out the armholes and recutting them.  The final result was perfect.


I really like the gathers in the bodice and the unique look that creates.  Here is the back view.


The ironic thing was...the day I finished the jumper was the day the snow and ice finally disappeared and we had a beautiful day - but I wore the jumper anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment