Monday, February 14, 2011

Decorative Pillow

Several summers ago, I took a quilting class at Alford Inn & Quilt Shop (http://alfordinn.com/).  It was just a single class - lasting a few hours - and we learned how to make stained glass quilt blocks.  During the class we made the first block.  While I enjoyed the class and loved the artistic beauty of the finished block, I knew that I did not want to make a dozen, or even two dozen, of these blocks so that I could have an entire quilt.  So the lonely block sat in my unfinished "project pile," awaiting it's final destiny.

I came across the block, and the remaining scraps, recently, in my quest to complete the unfinished projects around my apartment.  After some consideration, I decided to turn the block into a decorative sofa pillow.  Here is the finished project:


The block wasn't quite large enough for the pillow size, so I added a black border.  I then used the green scraps for the back and the purple scraps to create a piping around the edge of the pillow. 

In this photo, you can see the detail of the blocks.  Stained glass quilting is fun and creates a stunning look - I have just decided it takes a wee bit more patience than I have at this age.


No comments:

Post a Comment